Good question. I’m not actually sure! As far as I know the fact of the matter hasn’t been nailed down anywhere. But I think basically all configurations of that relationship are interesting:
- She has no idea what her origins are, and would be dismayed and repelled to discover that she was created by one of the very blood-hunting monsters she helps fend off. Cool story potential. Lots of self-doubt. A self-doubting guardian archangel? What could happen?!
- She is dimly aware of her vampiric origins, or has some dubious and unsubstantiated evidence of them, and has a kind of Luke “NOOOOO” moment when she finally searches her feelings and knows ‘em to be true. Gives her a kind of lurking, chilling awareness of her artificiality, but also a kind of grudging respect for the dark but far-sighted being who created her. Maybe she can come to terms with that bond, that connection, for Innistrad’s sake.
- She is fully, consciously aware that Sorin Markov made her, and it’s an explicit part of her protective mission. In this scenario, she might’ve had an especially hard time in the Helvault, knowing that her creator’s purpose for her wasn’t being fulfilled, and that Innistrad was suffering as a result. She knows that her creation represented his betrayal of his own kind, and has probably come to wear her Markovian origins as a proud badge on her heart.
There are even more possibility-wrinkles, I’m sure. If we ever return to Innistrad or whatever, remind us to explore that relationship further!
- #does she attack sorin — a powerful vampire who would endanger hundreds of humans — on sight?
- #or does she go ‘hey dad wassup’ and they fight the supernatural night-creatures side by side
- #or does she tell herself every night while she hunts
- #that the darkness she fights never rubs off on her
- #and that nothing in her being could possibly be connected to that darkness
- #that nothing about the Archangel Avacyn could possibly be considered part of that monstrous evil
- #let ALONE be ROOTED IN or WHOLLY CREATED BY it
- #no no no of course not
- #that could never be true
- #never never never never never never never never